Thursday, June 16, 2005

Platypus

I no longer care for this tepid bath.
Pills call to me. Sweet white pills.
40 of them make exactly one gram.
8 by 5 treasure, white broomsticks
to sweep me into nirvana.
I prefer it this way. Calm.

I am lost, unguided completely.
Little parts flake off at reentry,
Bits of spinning useless junk.
They leave quickly fading scorch marks.
Landing gear is unnecessary - I
Refuse to land.

I used to call the Platypus my totem animal.
I do not know why. Pride, maybe?
Unusual animal.

Obviously, they must be taken quickly.
No food, probably, since that might
Induce womiting.

They asked what our totem animals were in ESL class.
The Hispanic boys all answered with STUPID macho shit.
I am a lion, a FUCKING LION, or a PANTHER, for god’s sake,
This is what they said.
I said I was a platypus, gloating, they had no clue what a platypus was.

There are 20 of them on a single leaf.
Two leaves are required.
I did not look it up on the internet.
I am tired of the internet.

A platypus has a stinger, lays eggs and excretes milk.
It has fins between the fingers. It has a duckbill.
I know absolutely nothing else about it.
At the time I knew even less.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get tired of the internet! We're not tired of you.

5:58 PM  
Blogger -G.D. said...

cyber hug to you. Your blog always an interesting read.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

You know, it's posts like this that really worry me. You'll let me know how that test goes?

7:43 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

If you're still finding humour in a platypus, you're not so far gone.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home