Thursday, October 27, 2005

An Open Letter

Usually, I spend my days reading and writing, always drinking coffee, sometimes drinking beer, sometimes drinking wine. I don’t write enough when I am drunk though. I write well, but I don’t write enough of it. Novels are so fucking long. The minimum length for a reasonable novel is something like 100,000 words. Typing with Times New Roman 12, we are talking about 180-200 pages of text on the computer. Coming up with that much stuff – far be it from being actually GOOD stuff – is hard. Being a novelist requires discipline, a trait I sorely lack. So now I am keeping away from the sauce. I find stupid ways to waste time and mental energy anyway.
I spent yesterday playing Civilization III. I felt bad about it. I gave the disk to Csilla to liberate me from Evil. Without the disk, I cannot play the game. Not playing is a good thing. I played America. After 7 hours of non-stop playing, I managed to kill the French, the English, the Germans, and all the Aztec cities on my continent. That left me with my own continent by 1730AD! Yay! I will treasure this dubious achievement as my last and final Civ III thingie.
I got an email from London, finally. The publisher said that assuming the rest of my manuscript is the same quality as the first two chapters (it isn’t – the last 10 chapters are MUCH BETTER), he wants to publish my book.
He is reading the manuscript now. I am awaiting his decision, hopeful, since he REALLY liked what he had seen so far, and he has read the thorough summary as well before he responded in a positive manner.
The book is a tawdry erotic novel. Terribly filthy, evil stuff, 80,000 words of debased Corruption. If it gets out there, I will be solely responsible for mountains of … ugh … well, you know. Male Effluvium. Erotica does not pay too well, of course, so I have been working on Birds of a Feather. God only knows what genre it is. I guess it could be called a horror/thriller/fantasy mix.
I actually go to cafes now with my laptop and write. When I am done, I take the tram and read a good book. The one I am reading now is Hemingway’s Movable Feast. When I think about this I am not sure what I should do – rejoice that I get to do this in this day and age (instead of working in a cubicle on bullshit) or laugh at myself for having the gall to rub it in your face.
Still, why am I so depressed?

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

The Civ series is evil. I lost a relationship to Civ II. But that's ok. The game was better than the girlfriend anyway.

When you get published you're sending us autographed copies, right?

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody needs to eat more soy. Except me. I eat enough already.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home