Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Mr. Fox and Rabbit - Part 3

Bear handed the joint over to Rabbit. His face was a blank, wondrous page in a long lost book of paradise. “mmmmmm….”
Rabbit sighed and accepted. He shrugged and breathed in the smoke. “Interesting.”
“mmmmmm….”
“Interesting. Your moan was timed.”
“Uhmmmm….?”
“That one too. It was exactly the same length as the other moans.”
“To be perfectly frank, this weed is meant to do that.”
“Is that so?” Rabbit’s voice sounded so pleasant, so friendly, Bear began to tremble through the haze of psychosomatic pleasure. He busied himself with the elimination of the ash-stained honey puddle.
“That… That is just sick, Dr. Bear. I really consider myself lucky to call you my friend.”
“mmmmmm…”
“So, Perfectly Frank, tell me of your life.”
“I work at a…”
Rabbit ran up to Toad and hopped on his shoulder before he could finish. He violently screamed into his left ear. “SILENCE ASSHOLE. DID I ASK WHERE YOU WORKED? I DID NOT ASK WHERE YOU WORKED. I ASKED WHAT YOU DID. ARE YOU YOUR JOB? WHAT IS THIS, PLYMOUTH ROCK?”
Perfectly Frank blinked. “Hey dude… You are, like, weird!”
Rabbit collapsed into a self-contained, fuzzy white capsule of simmering rage. “Am I weird or am I normal? Make a decision, asshole. If I am ‘like’ weird, I am sure the English language contains a word that is actually ON POINT, thereby allowing you to name my ‘like weird’ state exactly, further permitting me to let you leave this tree ALIVE.”
“Enlightenment can sometimes leave a man struggling to find words to express himself.” Mr. Fox smiled like a benevolent monarch on a tour of the colonies.
“But… but… you are dead. I’ve killed you!”
“Do you see a body?”
Rabbit looked around.
Dr. Bear burped.
Rabbit sighed. “No! I think you were eaten by Dr. Bear. You really should visit a shrink about this scavenging problem, Dr. Bear.”
“How did I die?”
“I cremated you, alive.”
“Then I would have to have ashes.”
“I believe your ashes wafted on the floor where they mixed with the honey that was lapped up by Dr. Bear.”
“So… what does this mean, Rabbit?”
Dr. Bear and Perfectly Frank looked from Rabbit to Mr. Fox like spectators at a tennis match. Perfectly Frank turned to Dr. Bear. In a tone befitting a Jedi master, he intoned: “I am thinking love 40 at the tiebreak of the first set.”
Dr. Bear, terrified that he would be forced to admit that he did not know what tennis was, begrudgingly nodded. “Could be, could be.”
Mr. Fox patiently explained. “Without a body, there is no evidence of the murder. Without the murder, there is no death. Without death, I am alive. It is so simple, really. Such is the burden of enlightenment.”
“Of course, there is an alternative. I mean, other than Dr. Bear shitting you out, your molecules fully recombined in his fat ass.” Rabbit grinned and patted Perfectly Frank on the shoulder. “This is some gooood catnip.”
“You prefer catnip to enlightenment?” Fox seemed ready to debate the theological implications.
“I am not ready to debate the theological implications.”
Fox looked bitter. “But I seem ready.”
“Oy! Seeming is believing.” Perfectly Frank covered his mouth with both hands and made small whimpering sounds begging for forgiveness.
Rabbit slowly walked over to Toad and patted his knee, exactly one pat every two seconds. A rhythmic twitch seemed to have taken temporary residency in his left eyelid. “So… so. Do tell me what you do, Toad.”
“I am …I am a POET!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home