Saturday, June 17, 2006

'I adore me' she cooed lovingly.

I'd reread Steven King's book On Writing. It's good stuff. Unfortunately, I actually understood it.
I have already written 69,800 words out of a planned 70,000, my latest novel. Most of it is not in accordance with the principles of King's book.
Those are good principles - for example, verb abrogation should be kept to a minimum. No 'cooed lovingly'. Ever.
It should say ''I adore me,' she said.' It should never-ever say 'cooed lovingly.'
Unfortunately the flavor of the nearly finished book demands 'cooed lovingly'; but - and here is the big problem - I already started something new that sounds really, really, really damned good and it is written the RIGHT way. It makes all the rest of my stuff sound like absolute crap. Now every time I pull up the nearly-done manuscript of the other novel I just want to delete like a sonofabitch..
I also have a plot problem. Now I don't worry about plot until I am nearing the end of my alloted word-length, but I got there so...
The problem is that I don't have an ending. I can't think of one. I believe in just writing down what the characters act out on the stage of my imagination but the characters are not cooperating. They just want to live their quiet lives and fornicate. That is not a frigging ending.
I know - just write that, that is true, that is what you're supposed to do. Write the truth, always. It is the hallmark of good writing. Don't force a character to do something that they don't want to do simply because you want a fucking plot. I know this.
In truth I am thinking of cheating because I want to write the new book and this one is in the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home