Saturday, April 23, 2005

Dirty Old Man

Only I can go to the book show where I attend a publisher's press conference, leave for lunch, come back... and this is where things go just wacky.

I buy a big salty pretzel and meander near the entrance, where I am handed a survey. By a girl. A pretty girl. With pageboy blonde hair. Tall and slender and blue eyed and YOUNG. Like NINETEEN young. Or 21 at most. Still don't know.

So I offer her my pretzel. I know I will get nasty comments about this, but I honest to God just offered her my pretzel. She consumed my pretzel. We talked. A lot. She has not started college yet (just getting into college is a big deal in Hungary - many YOUTHS apply a couple of times over the course of a few years until they get in (if they get in). This was about the time I began to laugh at myself deep within, a tortured, gasping sound.

He hehe he he. (You know that sound.) He ehehehe.

She gets off at 5. No, not like that, you filthy bastards. She tells me she gets off at 5 and SHE IS JUST DYING TO GET A COLD BEER the second she gets off. I got the hint after like 10 minutes and asked her out.

I find myself drinking beer with her for like an hour. Maybe two. Then we went home. Not like that. She went her way, I went my way. We just went part of the way together.

So damned cute and unsullied and charming and YOUNG. Somebody SLAP me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I don't have any reference for this... I don't think you've ever mentioned your age. Except to point out that it's not 42.

If you're 27, well, not that big a deal. If you're 51, then you're kind of a pig.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Balázsy András said...

uhm, try 34

12:03 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

That's not too bad. What's the general attitude in your part of Europe about an age difference like that?

5:12 AM  
Blogger Balázsy András said...

Oh it is not that bad. I just come with a lot of baggage right now - falling for a 19 year old would just about top it all. I am just hitting that point where I don't want mindless fun, I actually want a relationship, and a 19 year old just should not have to accommodate me.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home