Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Yellow Band - Part 2

‘Well, that was educational.’ Stilt picked up a mushroom from the floor of the dank dungeon. ‘You think this is edible?’
Vechus nodded. ‘Could be poisonous though.’ He brightened. ‘If you die I will use it on my battle-axe.’
‘I suspect we failed in our mission,’ said Philippe. ‘I mean, they didn’t leave. They haven’t entered yet though.’
‘Who’s going to pay us?’ asked Sylvia. ‘No offense people, but the CITY can’t pay us. Architecture alone can’t… I mean, it requires some inhabitant to give us money. The inhabitants are all dead…’
‘You killed them,’ interrupted Stilt. He wore a helpful smile.
‘…and we can’t just take our fee from the houses. That would be robbery. And I had help. You killed some; I distinctly recall a few dozen that had white arrows sticking out of their eye sockets.’
Chorgil closed his eyes and very slowly let his hands fall to the side. First his feet and then his toes lifted from the ground until he hovered in a comfortable 45 degree position. ‘I heard of a new fruit called Bananas,’ he whispered.
‘They attacked me. It was self defense. That doesn’t count.’
‘Won’t they sense you hovering down here?’ asked Philippe. ‘Ghi-Nome have wizards.’
‘No,’ said Sylvia. ‘He is not using magic. He is just unaffected by the pull of the ground. When he forgets it’s there.’*
Chorgil fell on the ground. He just lay there. He opened his eyes. ‘Bananas,’ he said with a voice like crystal chimes hitting a wall. ‘Bananas.’
‘Anyway, Ghi-Nome wizards are not like me. They’re strictly line-of-sight.’
‘So if you were invisible…’
‘No. I would still be line-of-sight. They just couldn’t see me.’
‘We just got down here,’ said Stilt. ‘Let’s settle down. Let’s figure out what exactly we should do.’

* yeah I know this resembles a certain concept that was published by a certain someone. Douglas Adams' estate can sue me for money I do not have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home