Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Lemur Child

So I was on the light rail again. This train is a neverending source of amusement for me. Whereas in DC people board the train and spend their commute in embittered, lonely silence, staring down at their sneakers which they will change out of into equally ugly flats, in Hungary, people begin talking to one another immediately upon boarding.

Hot chicks don't think it is uncool to commute to school on public transportation, so the view is always pleasant. There are, of course, about 5 out of 100 people who are sort of little islands of envy in the sea of social interaction, but Fuck Them.

This woman boards with her son. The woman did not look particularly remarkable. Maybe in her late 40-s. Theoretically, she could have been the grandmother of... of Lemur Child.

Lemur child had a passing resemblance to a human boy of maybe 8 years of age. He had the largest yellow-green-brown eyes I have ever seen. The creature had a round head and a well fed, sort of roundish body. Its hair was the same length everywhere, kind of like the healthy expanse of fur on a healthy Madagascarian monkey. The moment it sat, it began to explore its surroundings, peering inquisitely at me, at its (grand?) mother, at the people across the aisle. I was hypnotized, could not take my eyes off it. Since I had neither food nor interesting toys, it ignored my captivated stare and extracted a newspaper from an unknown location. He began to read an article on tax relief, those enormous yellow eyes absorbing every single detail of the recommended legislation. I tried to read the article with it, but feared its feral reaction. I began to contemplate the possibility that the creature was maybe an Owl of some kind, not a lemur. Everyone knows owls are academics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home